Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Large Horn Loaded Horn Array

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    The sheer weight of this system is incredible. Concert system application.

    http://www.geocities.com/rafaleconve...?1147962214580

    .......................................

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have read some about the HLA's, they are basically the horns suspended in an open frame from what I am guessing. I would think that they don't weigh as much as a wooden enclusure, but the framing is probably pretty heavy.

    From reading about people that have heard them used, I guess they sound pretty good.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    You are correct the weight is 230 lbs (pounds).

    3 way system LF,MF.HF. It won 3 awards from 1998 to 1999.It looks impressive I never heard any yet.


    ......................................

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Large Horn Loaded Horn Array


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Scares me. Sure is big.

    Convergence you don'thappen to know any model numbers on the cabinets? Thanks if you do.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Large Horn Loaded Horn Array


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Charles. Mostly curious about the subs.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I've heard them many times, they sound great. Very clean, very dynamic. Can have a nice long throw for outdoor venues.

    For indoor use I still like Meyer better, but the JBLs do sound great. I never did get to actually mix on the JBLs, as they belonged to a competitor, Cliff Miller, but I heard them often enough. Cliff is a great guy and really cares about good sound. You can see more here: Merle Fest

    He's using the HLAs subs in this application.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Large Horn Loaded Horn Array


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    JBL sounds like JBL. I have to give them credit, they even made the line arrays sound like JBL- and that was no mean feat. There is a harshness in JBL highs that I've never liked. A lot of people like it and buy it.

    I've used and owned Meyer equipment. They make some good stuff. Lots of Meyer top end is JBL however.

    I think JBL's are much improved if you put Radian diapragms in them. The Radian diaphragm (for the JBL) was designed by Algis Renkus, an Altec alumnus.
    The geometry is significantly different.

    Gauss drivers sounded a lot better than JBL IMHO. If you gotta use a 2" throat. I'm still not convinced that 2 inch is the best way to get to 20k.

    JBL has introduced drivers with Altec sized throats, I haven't played with them much.

    The old life gets in the way syndrome. Work always has to be a priority over experimenting.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Well you know what they say about Meyers.

    "You can buy better speakers, but you can't pay more for them." forums

    I do like them, tho.
    Did not know that Mr. Renkus was ex-Altec. Cool!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.